4.29.2014

International Student Shares Experience Working in Grade 5F

GRADE 11 INTERNATIONAL STUDENT SHARES EXPERIENCE
WORKING IN GRADE 5F

What I Have Learned Working with Grade 5 Students
By: Mayu Ishida



Since I came to study at Sacred Heart School of Halifax as an international student, I have been going to Grade 5F for an hour every Monday as a volunteer.  Throughout this great experience, I have learned many things.

First, I have learned about the differences of educational systems between Canada and Japan. Here in Canada, they have an opportunity to have a presentation in class.  I think this is good training to get used to talking in front of others.  In Japan, we do not give presentations at school as much as here.  It is very hard for Japanese students to talk in front of others.

Second, I have found that these grade 5 students give me confidence to speak English. At the beginning of this volunteer opportunity, I could not speak and understand English as much as now. However, they tried to understand what I was saying and then they talked to me.  Fortunately now, I can speak to them and understand what they are saying. Every single week, they give me a chance to talk to them and learn English.

Third, is that these grade 5 students realize that I like taking care of kids. When I met the grade 5 students, I felt a little like a teacher! Everyone has their own wonderful personality and they are so nice to me. When I say something, they listen so carefully and obey what I am saying.


In my future, I would like to be an English teacher.  As a result, this experience is great for me. Each week after I volunteer, Mrs. Ferguson tells me “Thank you for coming and helping me.” These words make me so happy and I am so glad that I can help her.